Friday 15 January 2010

CONTRAry to your knowledge...


CONTRAry to your knowledge

Ok I know I promised a post every day, and as penance I will be posting two today (my first will be music orientated which will be followed by a movie post later on this afternoon). In my defence there was a lot of haggis and Scrabble to distract me in Camden last night!

So yesterday, Daisy and I headed over to Somerset House to catch Vampire Weekend perform a free gig in celebration of the release of their new album Contra. The follow up to 2008’s self titled smash, Vampire Weekend have built on their unique sound to deliver a genuine antidote to the extreme cold weather we’ve been having recently. My personal highlights are White Sky, California English and the stormin’ first single Cousins. I have to say I wasn’t particularly into this song when I first heard it but it is KILLER live, definitely the highlight of yesterdays set.

Playing from an opulent balcony in the main square, framed by decadent pillars and the occasional pigeon gatecrasher, the band played tracks from both albums. Unfortunately there were some technical difficulties towards the end, leaving front man Ezra Koenig (isn’t that an actor from Star Trek?) to ad lib some wise cracks whilst ‘techies’ fixed the sound. Luckily all was resolved and the band managed to play ol’ favourite Walcott as a crowd pleasing finale. I think the new songs are going to go down a treat at festivals this summer.

Ahhh I’m so excited and I just can’t hide it, because one of my favourite bands of all time and space are gearing up to release their new album Head First. Goldfrapp have just posted the cover to the album on their blog, which you can catch at www.goldfrapp.com/blog. This is the official press release for the album...

‘Head First’ is Goldfrapp’s most powerful trip to date, a speedy rush of synth optimism, euphoria, fantasy and romance. With life affirming lyrics and stellar production it lifts off at full tilt and takes us on a journey to the heart of 2010.

The album is released through Mute on March 22nd and a tour will follow later on in the year.

All that’s left for me to say is if you still haven’t registered for Glasto and are thinking of going, make your way over to www.glastonburyregistration.co.uk/ as a ticket resale should be taking place very soon.

And finally, here is a short playlist of tunes that I think will kick start your weekend, which doesn’t include any Ellie Goulding or Marina & the Diamonds as I just don’t get them (sozza Radio one)...

Poison Lips – Vitalic
I’m Not Sorry – The Cocknbullkid
Watchadoin’ (Villains Remix) – N.A.S.A. Featuring M.I.A., Santogold and Spankrock
Zero (RAC Remix) – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Drummer – Boys Noize
Let’s Go Surfing – The Drums
Counterpoint – Delphic
Rhythm of the Night (Digital Mode feat. Marteen) – Corona
; -)



Ciao for now x

PS Don’t forget to follow me if you’re enjoying what you read

No comments:

Post a Comment