Friday 22 January 2010

AWOOoOoOooooOOo

I’ve been looking forward to The Wolfman for an age! Originally scheduled for a November 2008 release the movie will finally hit screens on February 12th. Starring Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins and Emily Blunt, the film is a remake of the 1941 classic horror of the same name.

The trailer hit last August and I was excited to see glimpses of a movie that looks stylistically similar to one of my favourite films of all time, Francis Ford Coppola’s Dracula (1992). Full of opulent houses, murderous shadows cast by candlelight and Victorian melodrama, director Joe Johnston has chosen gothic romp over a complete re-imagining of the Wolfman myth. This excites me for two reasons...1) I love a gothic romp any day of the week (just ask any of my friends) and 2) Just hearing Anthony Hopkins snarling his dialogue at Benicio Del Toro is enough to give the premise artistic gravitas....ok and thirdly or 3) Danny Elfman, one of my cinematic heroes, maybe scoring the movie. I say maybe because there is conflicting information as to whether the music he has written will still be used.

Head on over to http://www.thewolfmanmovie.com/ for all things lycanthropy and a link to a rather cool website dedicated to the classic horror movies of Universal Pictures.

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch, this won’t be another Van Helsing CGI wank fest, but we’ll have to wait a few more weeks to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment