Monday 8 March 2010

Tunes to put a spring in your step

Sitting on a park bench in London, I raise my face and let my tired skin bask in the warmth of the sun. Could it finally be Spring? The birds are singing sweetly in the branches and dew glistens like tiny gems sprinkled over the grass. I have a sudden urge to get up and run like a mad man across the green, arms outspread like a plane. Unfortunately my limbs aren’t playing ball. It takes a lot of effort just to reach up and rub my sore temples in reconciliation for drinking too much last night.

Because I’m so hung-over, it takes some time for me to realise that there is something very small and white hopping and bounding up the path towards me. I blink several times, desperately trying to lubricate my dry eyes. I squeeze them shut and rub them hard for a few seconds.

My eyelids flash open and focus in a white rabbit with large worrisome eyes, lilywhite fur and a herringbone waistcoat with gold buttons. Strangest of all the rabbit is muttering to himself and staring intently at an iPod adorned with hearts.

‘I’m terribly, terribly late! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. The Queen will be most displeased with me...’

The poor thing suddenly realises I’m sat there, watching on in total disbelief (I’m never drinking Vermouth again). He lets out a high pitched squeal, drops the iPod and disappears down a hole hidden at the bottom of a large tree.

‘Silly rabbit,' I mutter as I reach over to pick up the iPod and earphones. My stomach lurches and I topple back onto the wooden bench. The screen on the iPod lights up and I place the earphones in my ears (I hope I don’t get ticks). I close my eyes, taking in the glory of the Spring sun and listen on...

Alice’s Theme by Danny Elfman
Danny Elfman is responsible for some of the most beautiful and haunting scores in Hollywood having written music for Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice and Batman. This track from the new Alice In Wonderland movie is a return to form for the long time Tim Burton collaborator, having produced rather half hearted scores in recent years. A stirring mix of female choral harmonies, whirlwind strings and bold brass beckons the listener to ask the question ‘Alice dear, where have you been?’

The Walking Dead by Weird Tapes
Nowhere near as gothic as the title suggests, The Walking Dead is a sprightly electro track in a similar vein to Crystal Castles. Perfect for strutting along garden paths or sipping on lemonade whilst watching Skins on Channel 4 OD. Listen at http://www.last.fm/music/Weird+Tapes/_/12+The+Walking+Dead

Frost Satellite by Radiant Dragon
Just what the doctor ordered. I would heartily recommend listening to this track whilst collapsing in a field full of hay and watching the clouds roll by. Oh, you live in the city? Ok, try spread eagling on your bed instead whilst soaking up the dreamy vocals of London based Ming Long. Follow him at http://radiantdragon.blogspot.com/

Postcards From Italy by Florence and the Machine
Never heard of this artist. Don’t think she’ll amount to much. It’s the B side to her 2008 single, Kiss With A Fist and it’s a cover. Anyway give this rare track a listen to...but only out of moral support mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p5l6tRzpD8

Rocket (Richard X One Zero Remix) by Goldfrapp
Richard X bloody loves the eighties, so it’s no wonder he’s remixed the nostalgic sounds of Goldfrapp’s new single Rocket. The new album Head First is out on March 22nd but you can download this remix for free at www.amazon.co.uk/Rocket-Richard-One-Zero-Remix.

One by Yeasayer
The sonic and hipper cousin to Paul Simon’s 1986 hit ‘You Can Call Me Al’, Yeasayer have delivered the first party track of the season. Makes me want to get Chevy Chase round to blow on my trumpet....um scrap that last line. Watch the classic Paul Simon music video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlI

Cranberry by The Ruby Suns
The Ruby Suns are a New Zealand group that toured with The Shins throughout Australia in 2007 (there’s an interesting fact to drop at the dinner table this evening). This psychedelic slice of indie pop sits well with the current wave of MGMT sounding bands. Listen at http://www.myspace.com/therubysuns

No Hassle by Robyn and Diplo
The Swedish songstress with the most...ess(!) has collaborated with dub step guru Diplo and has given us No Hassle, a swaggering street wise pop gem. Download at http://kickinthepeanuts.com/?p=7135

Tightrope (ft Big Boi) by Janelle Monae
If you’re missing the heady funk of Outkast then this is the perfect song for you. 25 year old Janelle has the star power of Beyonce and the dance moves of James Brown. This will have you dancing like Tina after downing a pitcher of Red Bull. Check her out at http://www.jmonae.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment